University of Glasgow Library Level 1 & 2
This was the final phase of the redevelopment of the main library at the University of Glasgow and involved the main ground floor access which included the main security office and the incorporation of the basement. The existing basement which was subject to historic water ingress received a complete new waterproofing system to the floors and wall. Two new apertures were created within the 300mm reinforced existing concrete ground floor slab to allow the basement to become a pleasant and quiet study area.
Scope of Work
A new revolving access door and security turnstiles were installed and new security reception area created, bespoke joinery study pods and informal lecture areas were also incorporated within the works as well as new screens to increase the natural daylight to level 2 & 3.
- Forming apertures to accommodate new access stairs and lightwell into the basement within the reinforced concrete ground floor, including secondary steel trimming
- Removing existing basement tanking system and complete re-tanking and waterproof screed
- Removal of existing oil-fired heating boilers and oil storage tanks from basement
- Complete renewal of all electrical services, fire alarms, and security
- Complete renewal of all mechanical services including a new air-conditioning system and building management system to communicate with existing campus system
- New gender-neutral toilet areas
- Provision of a Structural downtakings and asbestos removal
- Upgrade of existing plantroom including installation of new air handling units, controls and associated plant.
- Steel staircase,glass balustrading, and specialist decorative column enclosures
- New bespoke security desk, reception desk, offices, and new archive storage
- New automatic revolving door and security turnstiles
- Installation of internal fire resistant glazed screens to maximise natural light to study areas
- New ceilings, floor coverings and decoration
- Provision of temporary entrance to the existing library to allow access for students to be maintained at all times as the Library operated from 8am – 2am, 7 days a week, necessitating careful planning and control when carrying out noisy or disruptive work.
- External hard landscaping