Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools, University of Strathclyde
We have extensive experience of working with historical, listed buildings, which each come with their own challenges. For the Ramshorn project, it was necessary to preserve the unique architectural and historical features of the church. As is our approach with all listed buildings, we adopted a conservation approach from the outset ensuring that appropriate levels of care and caution were employed whilst carrying out works to the fabric.
The project successfully saw the transformation of a disused historic building into a vibrant modern office environment and multi-use space. The previous theatre space and hall were renovated into flexible event and teaching spaces that will be used as a hub for cultural exchange, performances and engagement work with schools, scholars, local government and the public.
Essential structural and servicing works took place to ensure longevity of the building for years to come. Although these are not as apparent as the fabric and decorative conservation and renovation work, these are vital to comply with current technical building standards and legislation.
The building now boasts modern and more efficient heating, ventilation, cooling, and electrical services ensuring its relevance and adaptability for the future.
Scope of Work
The project involved the following key activities;
- General downtakings, alterations and slappings, including removal of services and existing lift
- Conservation of existing roof and façade
- New section of Roof to form WC’s
- Formation of roof openings and new roof lights
- New curtain walling and associated screens and door
- Internal walls and partitions
- Internal doors and ironmongery
- New Glazed screens and doors
- Repairs to existing wall, floor and ceiling finishes
- Wall, floor and ceiling finishes
- Fixed furniture, fittings and fixtures including Reception Desk
- Mechanical and Electrical downtakings
- Alterations to and installation of new ventilation system
- Alterations to drainage systems
- Alterations to and installation of new heating and cooling
- Alterations to and installation of new Small Power, Lighting, and security control
- Alterations to and installation of new Fire Protection
- New Passenger lift
- Alteration to and installation of new Communications and Security Systems
- New AV system
- New lightning protection system